Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default Setting compound for 30 minute angle?

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
I'm trying to turn a front sight base that will fit a tapered barrel.
After some hand-to-calculator fighting, I came out with a 1/2 degree per
side angle. Start of the band is @.610, the end is @.630, looking at
tapered end mills in Wholesale tool, Grainger, KBC, Enco, and others shows
a decent range of prices, but the corker seems to be the front diameter.
Stock tapered end mill tips are in common sizes, like 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 and
3/4.

Thing is, moving the band rearward gets the band into the diameter of
.623, but the band will be over an inch and a half from the muzzle.

Looking at the iGaging digital protractor, the accuracy is listed as .2
degrees. Resolution is listed as .05 degrees, but look at the accuracy and
we're well into half the value of the desired angle.

How can I set my compound for boring? Angle plates? Adjustable angle?

What I've done before is chuck up a piece of drill rod, indicate it true,
then mark off an inch or few inches and indicate the compound to taper the
desired thousandths per the distance I marked off. For example if I want a
taper of 0.008" per inch, I mark 1" on the drill rod and set the compound
with an indicator to move the desired amount per inch.

After getting close, you can use high spot blue to see if the taper fits
evenly or not, and work for a more perfect fit.

RogerN