Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cost of putting up TV aerial?

tony sayer wrote:
IMLE there are even some hills in Suffolk which can militate for a
longer mast.

But the current use of a set top aerial suggest that no hills are involved in
the current
scenario ...

As for hills, a quick glance at spot heights on the OS map suggests that a
heath, at 64
metres aod, is pretty much what passes for 'high' in Suffolk ...

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/mendlesham/index.php

The highest bit of Suffolk according to our Terrain database is at 136
MAOD and is to be found near Rookery Farm just near the delightfully
named hamlet of Genesis Green!. This mast which is one of the old BT
microwave link sites is there, so called Wickhambrook I believe as it
was connected to some exchange equipment in Wickhambrook village!.

Well actually Tony, I thought the higher point was at Depden, where that
other mast is..
...But as you know, I am less than half a moe from that tower..and if I
Martian across the fields..its coming to get me, I tell you!

Oddly enough, one side of the high groud here, militates the use of
Sandy Heath, or sometimes Tacolneston, whereas sudbury is the place to
go once over the top. I can in theory receive both, or even al three,
but I decided to go for Sudbury as being closer.

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/wickhambrook.php

This marks it there, but there is a mound which is off the South East
corner of that site which is the highest bit!..

As Terry sez its not much help without knowing where the receiver is
located at all. If current reception is Almost OK then a loft installed
aerial I would expect will perform better and it may well be that the
serving TX is the Sudbury one, 'tho there are bits of that area,
id Suffolk, where Tacolneston comes in that bit better and in some ways
is less bother ...

its really down to a boring day op trying the ruddy lot out.

Or as the riggers seem to do, simply pointing it roughly the same way
everyone else in the street does...