Grandpa

Default Chessman

Jez, I was there last night and never saw the FAQ link - it was late I
guesssigh. Thanks!

Silvan wrote:

Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote:

Speaking of large chessmen, is there a standard correlation between the
size of the squares on a board and the footprint or height of the men -
excluding the obvious? I'd like to make a larger board, maybe 3' across.

Yes. My memory is failing me, so let me go dig it up.

http://www.houseofstaunton.com/faq.html#001

1. How do you choose the right size squares to match your set to a board?
The proper square size for a set of properly proportioned Staunton chessmen
is such that the width of the base of the King should be 78% of the width
of a square. So, divide the King's base diameter by 0.78 and you get the
proper square size. You can increase the square size by 1/8", but the
square size should not be any smaller. For example, a Staunton King with a
base diameter of 1.75" would require a square size of 1.75"/0.78 = 2.25".
Hence, you should use a chessboard with either 2-1/4" or 2-3/8" (+1/8").