Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Cordless phone woes

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"William Sommerwerck" wrote:

Problem is, two of the handsets have stopped reliably
communicating with the base. I often can't get a dialtone
to call out, nor answer an incoming call. Error message
sometimes comes up on the handset display, saying I'm
out of range.

Well, there's your problem.

The most-likely cause is that the output of the base station is down.
Make
sure its antenna isn't dirty (!!!) or broken, and position the base
station
where the handsets can easily "see" it (RF-wise).

Well, I started to hammer out a chiding reply to what I interpreted as
your overly-simplistic suggestions. I was getting the "out of range"
message or other non-operative condition even when I was standing right
next to the base.

But just to humor you, I wiped a layer of dust off the 4" long
plastic-covered base antenna and rotated it to an upright position. I'm
sure it's completely unrelated, but my intermittent issues are currently
in remission. Can RF really not punch through a bit of dust?

To those who suggested battery issues, agree that I'm pushing lifespan
but they seem to be charging up fully and giving me good battery charge
life still. FWIW, they're Ni-MH.

Thank you.

It was probably the rotating of the antenna that did it. 'Cleaned' the oxide
off the contacting faces of the rotating joint maybe. Doesn't take much to
stop those sorts of frequencies ...

Arfa