Posted to rec.woodworking
Jay Pique Jay Pique is offline

Default Joining two thick Maple "butcher blocks"

On Feb 21, 12:35*pm, Hoosierpopi wrote:
I found two three foot long, fourteen inch wide table inserts
constructed of (one and three quarter inch) thick Maple strips * (each
"strip" actually several short pieces finger-jointed into a longer
three-inch wide board) that appear to have been glued together to form
the nice finished pieces I found (in someone's trash!).

I would like to put the two pieces together to form a larger surface -
maybe using a spline running most of the length. I am concerned about
how to best keep/join both pieces so that the finished piece is all in
the same plane across its face.

I thought the spline the best approach and, now, seek advice on the
best choice for an adhesive and possibly clamping ideas - to keep
things square and such. I have HFT Bar Clamps - nothing fancy "guys."
I thought to get one of those SLOT CUTTER bits for my PC router and
cut a slot along each insert - albeit stopping an inch from each end.
Figured using the same depth setting on the PC router (for each piece)
would assure the surfaces lined up once the spline was glued in place.

Any thoughts from those who've been there and done this?

Thank you.

I pretty much always use slow set epoxy for my butcher blocks - it's
fully waterproof and once spread thin on the parts you have loads of
time to get them aligned and clamped as needed. As for alignment, I
just use cauls - no spline, no dowels, no nuttin', as someone else
said. In your case a clamp on each end holding them in alignment
should be good enough unless the parts are warped.
JP