Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Joining two thick Maple "butcher blocks"

Any thoughts from those who've been there and done this?

Thank you.

When I build large butcher block glue ups fopr tabel tops, kitchen
islands, etc. I usually make them up in 8-10" wide sections. Then I
glue up the sections all at once. No splines, no dowels, nuttin.

I just joint the edges on a jointer and test fit the pieces on top of
a flat table to be sure I have good straight joining surfaces. The I
set 2x4's on the table, and lay the pieces up on top of the 2x
blocking with regular wood glue (TB2 waterproof) and clamp them
lightly. Then I clamp hardwood cauls, just 2 x 3/4 x width of glue-up
across the glue-up every foot or so to pull it all into one plane
using c-clamps or hand-screws or short parallel clamps, etc. Then
finish tighting the main clamps. Haviing the piece raised up by the
2x4's gives me 3 1/2" clearance to have cauls on the under side and
lets me alternate the main clamps above and below the piece to
equalize any pull to one side or the other.

1. Us painters tape on the cauls and 2x's to keep them from gluing to
the squeeze out. A light belt sanding (very light) to even up the
joints, then sand it out nicely.

When I was doing this alot I had access to a nice wide belt sander,
which made it a dream but even then sometimes my final glue up was
wider than the belt so I had to hand finish it.