Silvan

Default Chessman

Jim Wilson wrote:

noted that the stabilized materials -- especially burls -- that I've seen
have had a "plasticky" appearance and feel, almost like it was
impregnated under pressure (or vacuum?) with something like epoxy. It
would be nice to know more about the processes available, and whether any
leave a more natural appearance to the surface, which is my personal
preference.

Dang... The details are escaping me, but I read about just that very thing.
They (someone, somewhere) did something to the wood (vacuum or pressure, I
don't remember) to make it draw epoxy into itself, yielding something that
was as much a wood/plastic hybrid as any natural material.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/