Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Any Windoze experts on here ? Bit OT ...

On 2/19/2011 6:13 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

Do you notice any slowdown when this occurs?

I have a similar "problem" under W2K. Windows creates a virtual
memory swap file when started, and expands it as needed.
Unfortunately, the expanding swap file causes the machine to slow
down, and a restart is eventually required. (This can take a few
days to a week or more, depending on how "hard" you push the OS. I
tend to have a lot of apps and files open at once, so I have to
restart as often as every four or five days.)

Yes, it does slow down. I have the Windoze memory usage widget running, and
you can see the usage creeping up over a couple of days or so, to the point
where it reaches 90+ %, at which point, the machine is crawling, and having
difficulty having multiple programs open at once.

Meaning no disrespect here, but are you sure it's *memory* that's
getting depleted here? I've got Win2K, and keep the Task Manager on my
taskbar. It indicates CPU usage %, not memory, at least if you're
talking about the visible indicator it shows onscreen. (Of course, it
also shows memory usage for each task as well as CPU usage.)

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet