Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pentagrid@yahoo.com is offline

Default DIY magnetic bend brake - was "Magnabend" - - - Update

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:20:54 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I just made a 2-MOTE (MOT electromagnet) brake ...

I checked the phasing of the MOTE's & they were indeed out-of-phase,
meaning that there was some flux shorting through the brake's structure.

I put them in phase and tried bending some test pieces. There was a
distinct improvement: it will now bend 20 ga (.040 +-), where it would
only do .030 before.

That's good news and bad news. The good news is obvious, the bad news
is now I'm uncertain what to do. Before, I had ruled out using MOTE's -
now, I don't know. MOTE's would be easier and faster than winding my
own electromagnet in the style of the Magnabend, but just barely strong
enough.

The other thing I did was look into doubling up the windings by adding a
winding from another MOT. The problem is that other windings either
don't fit at all, or just fit. The just-fit ones are really too tight
to use without damaging them. This is 30 ga wire.

Bob

Have you tried adding a big capacitor to boost the rectified
volts a bit?
Jim