Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default Ron Hickman dies

John Williamson ) wibbled on Sunday 20
February 2011 19:27:

wrote:
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 22:43:16 +0000, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Phil L wrote:

Yes because a mere 3 mil is ****all.
Likely lifetime earning of even a modest middle manager nowadays, so
yes.

There was an advertising campaign back in the 1970's for ISTR a
Building Society.
ISTR the theme was a young chap collecting his Girlfriend in an old
banger with her parents looking on with disdain. The strap line was
the comment "Tell them you are going to be worth xx thousand pounds"
and went on to suggest an average salary over a career with a few pay
rises thrown in .
I cannot recollect what the xx amount was but the figure would seem re
markedly low now. Many of the targets for that commercial will be on
the run down to retirement now,some will already have done so but not
if they only became worth the amount in the Advert.
Can anybody remember the figure?

When I left school in 1972, £5000 per annum was a salary to aspire to.
I'm now on four times that, almost, and I'm permanently skint....

IIRC my dad was on about 100/week around about 1973-4 (I assume that was
net) as an engineer (but that was Civil Service by then).

We weren't rich although he did amass quite a lot of savings (I think he was
"careful") - but we had a £6000 3 bed semi with a 120' garden in Surrey
(1969 price) and we had a car, tv, plenty of holidays (of the caravanning
variety) and decent food.

Now that house *checks*

ah - one of these:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28809625.html

Almost original and identical to the one I grew up in - one conservatory and
a tiny extension to the kitchen (many down that way are doing side and loft
extensions)

£425,000!!!

That house by the BoE inflation calculator *should* be £77,000 (12.8x
increase on 6000). The actual increase is 70.8x !!!

However, on the wages front I reckon I have a similar wage position to my
dad, so on that basis I find myself only earning about 5x as much as him net
(since 1973-4).

It's highly likely that 100/week may have been misplaced by a few years (he
mentioned the figure but it might have been in reference to a few years
earlier and probably a highly rounded number). Also, I suspect that being a
Civil Servant back then was a pretty cushty number compared to now.

Anyone know what a Civil Service Scientific Officer grade was worth back
then?

This: http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...5071014AA4sFWm
suggests average wages have gone up 14.6x (1973-2009) and 23.3x (1969-2009)

These days, SWMBO works and that more than doubles our income.

So houses have definately doubled WRT wages if not more, which explains why
all married types need to have 2 jobs these days and the days of a stay at
home parent are over unless one has a mega financial parasite type job.

OTOH we have 2 cars and loads of electronics we didn't have then but that is
skewed by China making cheap stuff - that bubble is going to burst once they
do a "japan" and get hugely rich.

--
Tim Watts