Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Granite in fireplace

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 12:54:35 -0500, Sam Takoy wrote:

Hi,

The bottom of my fireplace (that houses a wood burning insert) was lined
with very ugly tile which I decided to replace with a slab of granite
(probably in two pieces). But removing the tile damaged the wet bed as
you can see he

http://freeboundaries.com/fireplacefloor.jpg

Where do I go from here? Should I just pour self leveling concrete on it
(5/8") and put the slab of granite on top or do I remove the wet bed and
start all over?

I'm not a granite expert (you might ask a dealer) but I'd likely just clean
out what's loose and put a layer of thinset over what's there, and build on
that. I don't think it needs to be 5/8", just make sure there are no high
spots to put stress on the granite.