Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Any Windoze experts on here ? Bit OT ...

Arfa Daily wrote:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

Do you notice any slowdown when this occurs?

I have a similar "problem" under W2K. Windows creates a virtual memory
swap
file when started, and expands it as needed. Unfortunately, the expanding
swap file causes the machine to slow down, and a restart is eventually
required. (This can take a few days to a week or more, depending on how
"hard" you push the OS. I tend to have a lot of apps and files open at
once,
so I have to restart as often as every four or five days.)

It's also possible some freaky malware is running. You need a utility
that
shows everything running on the machine, such as Process Explorer.

Yes, it does slow down. I have the Windoze memory usage widget running,
and you can see the usage creeping up over a couple of days or so, to
the point where it reaches 90+ %, at which point, the machine is
crawling, and having difficulty having multiple programs open at once.
It then needs a restart, although occasionally, if I let it get too bad,
there's not even enough room to run the shutdown utility, and I then
have to do a crash and burn BRS restart ... Just as a matter of
interest, the memory monitor that is part of the cleaner program, agrees
exactly with the Windoze widget.

As to W2K, I ran the pro version on my previous machine, prior to ending
up with XP Pro, and I have to say that I never seemed to have the
problem with either of those two versions.

Arfa

Me too, I've run W2k Pro here on this machine for a long time now, I do
not have issues with it. It may not have all of the goodies the latest
has how ever, it works!

Jamie