Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Screw size in metal doors

On Feb 19, 5:29*pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
I needed to replace some screws in a metal door hinge where I work *They
must have used some odd ball size. *I tried a #6 metric and it almost fit
but didn't. *Went to a 1/4 inch in the two number of threads and it was too
big. *The next size I could find was a # 12 and it did not fit. *The #5
metric was too small. *I found a new package of hinges with the screws and
they fit fine.

What are they using for the screw size in a metal door ?

If you have new screws, satisfy your curiosity by taking them to the
Box Store and seeing which size nuts will fit. Odds are your 6 mm was
the one at fault and I'd bet the new ones you have are 6 mm. Remember
the Chinese are prone to use machine cutting tools until they break,
but not until they are worn off size.

Joe

Joe.