Posted to sci.electronics.repair
martinmarty martinmarty is offline

Default Help - UPS not charging

On Feb 19, 4:08*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 12:56:57 -0800, martinmarty wrote:
I have a UPS about 11 years old. It is an IBM OfficePro 700 which is
actually a Tripp-Lite product. Inside on the circuit board it says
66-0546. The web says the Mfr model number is 10K1912.

Not too long ago its yellow light started flashing that says the
batteries are discharged. Because of its age, I assumed the batteries
were worn out so I bought new ones. Unfortunately, after installing them
the problem did not go away.

When plugged in to AC, the unit has its green LED lit which shows it is
getting AC power in. The yellow LED flashes. according to the manual,
"This yellow light will turn ON continuously to indicate that the UPS's
battery is less than fully charged. If it stays on continuously, contact
Tripp-Lite fo service. The light will flash after you set the 'OFF/ON'
Switch to the 'OFF' position to indicate that the UPS will not provide
battery backup during a blackout or brownout." Regardless of whether I
set the OFF/ON switch to OFF or ON, the yellow light flashes.

There is a Mute/Test switch. If I run the test, the red LED briefly
lights and the alram briefly sounds, as if it tried to switch over to
battery power but there was no power there.

It kind of seems like the charging circuit is not charging the batteries
but I don't know how to test this theory. I left it sit plugged in for a
few days hoping it would charge but it did not.

There are several fuses on the circuit board, all soldered on, and they
all measure zero ohms so I don't think that is the problem. There are no
obviously leaky capacitors or any other components that look burned up
or damaged judging by visual inspection.

I like this UPS and would like to revive it, especially since I spent
money on the new batteries. If anybody could help me diagnose the
problem, tell me where to start, what to check, etc. I would appreciate
it.

All ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.

The batteries should have come with enough charge to operate the unit or
at least pass the battery test. Make sure the connections are correct.

--
Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for the reply.

The connections are good. When any of the battery connections are
disconnected, I get no lights at all on the front panel. Right now I
have it torn apart enough where I can see all the connections. I have
all connections oriented the same as the batteries I took out. The (2
x 6V) batteries are connected in a series and currently measure
approx. 13.2V total. Thanks.