Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default interior door swap

On 2/18/2011 2:42 PM, Picasso wrote:
On Feb 18, 2:19 pm, wrote:
On Feb 18, 12:41 pm, wrote:

they are actually solid pine doors, that are not predrilled.

I am fitting new doors in existing jambs... problem is i don't want to
cut off the top, but the bottom... but by cutting off the bottom, it
is not allowing me to drill the knob in the center of the horizontal
rail where it should be...

to keep it in the center of the rail, i have to drop the strike plate
approx 2"

So do it. The final word, assuming reasonable craftsmanship, is all
about aesthetics.

Then again, with a nym like Picasso, maybe you should put the knob on
the jamb...or maybe paint a knob on the door and have it open with a
touch-latch.

Well, thanks for the confidence.

I may have to try the bondo. I Have some Lepage woodfiller, I think
I'll search out some bondo and go with that method... sounds more
durable.

Thanks for the help guys.

If you are painting, and have a sharp chisel, square up the existing
hole. and glue in a slightly thicker dutchman that fits tightly, and
stands a little proud of the visible corner. (Helps if you have a saw to
rip the stock to appropriate thickness, and something to cut the ends
square.) Once glue has dried, a small block plane and some hand sanding
will blend it in so smoothly that is will vanish when painted. No bondo
needed, although that is also a viable but messier alternative.

But why not cut a little off the top and bottom rails? As long as they
match, knob will still center (if I understand your description
correctly), and they won't look wrong to the eye.

--
aem sends...