Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default A source of information?

On Sat, 19 Feb 2011 11:01:38 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"Charles the ****wit "

http://www.electronics-radio.com/art..._numbering.php

** Some just as dopey as "Charles" must have written the above drivel.

Fraid it is just plain WRONG !!

2N5459 = j-fet.

2N4444 = SCR

2N5446 = triac

Hard to decipher some semiconductor part numbers, these days.

1N, 2N, 3N devices are well defined...

** Like hell they are.

Go easy on the white space consumption. At your present rate of
wasting white space, the world's supply will soon be depleted and
AllTheWordsWillRunTogether.

Go thee unto:
http://www.jedec.org/standards-documents/docs/jesd-370b
register, login, download, and read the document. In particular, see
section 1A, which says that the numeric prefix is by the number of
active connections, minus one. the JFET, SCR, Triac, and Transistor
all have 3 active leads. I don't have my calculator handy, but I
suspect if I subtract 1 from this, I get the 2N prefix. 4 and 5
leaded devices, such as optoisolators and dual gate MOSFET's, are also
consistent. Anyways, it's NOT by device type. It's by the number of
active connections.

Full moon tonite...

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com