Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default UPS vs DSL modem

Art Todesco wrote:

On 2/17/2011 4:59 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Art Todesco wrote:

Well, actually, I can, because the wallwart puts out 12VDC and the
cap would be across that 12 volts. I agree with one poster that
measuring the current and then calculate the time gained by a
particular cap. But, I think I found the real reason. I think it's
the ISP.
I'll post more later.

The ISP?

How does your ISP know when power goes off at your house?

Well, out here in the country, there are very few feed lines. So,
if I loose power at my house, chances are, the remote switcher will
also loose power. If the batteries are not good, the site will (and
has) go down.

All the telco remote terminals I've seen have a transfer switch and
connection for a generator. The issues are how long with the poorly
maintained batteries last and how quickly will the telco dispatch a
truck with a generator to the site. I've seen a few larger RTs that do
have permanent standby generators, but most do not.