Posted to rec.woodworking
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default Doonesbury

HeyBub wrote:
DGDevin wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Further, virtually all of the inmates are drug free upon release.

Documentation please, that Texas, alone in the universe, is able to
keep drugs out of its prisons.

You are, of course, correct. Some drugs make it into the best of
prisons.
There are two national drug treatment facilities. One in Ft Worth,
the other in Leavenworth. The BEST success rate for these national
centers (drug-free after being released for one year) is six
percent.

Cite?

Since my training, and to my regret, there are now more federal drug
treatment centers.
* Federal Prison Camp, Forrest City, AK
* Federal Correctional Institution, Fort Dix, New Jersey
* Federal Medical Center, Ft Worth
and a few others.

If you need a specific cite, you can quote me.

Plus, putting people in prison for extended terms actually SAVES the
taxpayer money in reduced crime.

People whose only crime is possession of a banned drug for their own
consumption don't belong in prison in the first place. If they're
holding up liquor stores that is another matter, but if all they're
doing is using a street drug then prison is a waste of public money.
If you have a couple of shots of Old Overcoat in the evening while
watching The Good Guys it doesn't cause society any problems, ditto
if you smoked a joint instead. Let's save prison for those who
actually harm others.

How do you think someone in possession GOT to be in possession? Did
the stuff miracle itself into his pocket?

In all likelihood, he bought it. With money stolen from somebody
else. That stolen money or property is wealth taken out of the
community.

derivatives

Now you would probably argue that the money going to his dealer is
put BACK into the community when the dealer blings up his teeth, but
this sort of "broken window" economics, so beloved by Keynesians and
Democrats, is a flaw of gigantic proportions.