Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Ron Hickman dies

On Feb 18, 3:27*pm, JohnW wrote:

Yes, mine is Ali and has the platform on which you can stand -
probably 35 years old now. Having used some of the later ones, I am
surprised that no-one has been able to convince B&D to make to the old
quality

Modern ones are better than the originals. However they make a range
of them now. The top spec (usually with plywood tops) is much stronger
than the low spec (MDF or chipboard top). It's better than an
original. A "real" toolshop, as opposed to B&Q, carries them.

The steel frame is stronger, and fails by bending rather than
shearing, than the cast aluminium. I've a couple of aluminium ones and
all have at least one foot of the H casting replaced, either welded
back or a new one made in steel and riveted in place..

If you have one with a sagging top, make a new plywood one.

The only ones I've really no time for are the vertical clamping hinged
jaw (nice idea, but poorly done) and the chain-coupled vice screws.