Posted to uk.d-i-y
JohnW JohnW is offline

Default Ron Hickman dies

On 18 Feb, 10:17, Ronald Raygun wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
Inventor of the Workmate, the tool that's almost as useful as an angle
grinder. Also designer of the Lotus Élan so that's two attempts that he's
had to kill DIY enthusiasts.

We should demonstrate our affection for the deceased by using a Workmate
as a ladder, attempting to change a lightbulb and then spending all night
in casualty. It's what he would have wanted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-12496609

I heard that the original B&D workmate was very good, but that B&D
soon "improved" the design, resulting in it becoming a useless piece
of ****.

I only got the story second hand, so don't blame me for any mistakes,
but I gather the original had a fold-out platform at floor level on
which you stood, thereby making the whole thing very stable, especially
for jobs which involve exerting a fair bit of forward force, because the
table could then not move away from you. *The revised design just has
poxy feet and a small elevated platform, stepping on which with only one
foot provides some stability but nowhere near as much as in the original.

Yes, mine is Ali and has the platform on which you can stand -
probably 35 years old now. Having used some of the later ones, I am
surprised that no-one has been able to convince B&D to make to the old
quality or someone else to work around any patents.I would certainly
buy another one like mine, but can't see the point in buying a pressed
steel rickety version.

John