Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Ron Hickman dies

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:17:22 +0000, Ronald Raygun
wrote:

I heard that the original B&D workmate was very good, but that B&D
soon "improved" the design, resulting in it becoming a useless piece
of ****.

I only got the story second hand, so don't blame me for any mistakes,
but I gather the original had a fold-out platform at floor level on
which you stood, thereby making the whole thing very stable, especially
for jobs which involve exerting a fair bit of forward force, because the
table could then not move away from you. The revised design just has
poxy feet and a small elevated platform, stepping on which with only one
foot provides some stability but nowhere near as much as in the original.

http://labspace.open.ac.uk/file.php/...307_1_076i.jpg