Posted to uk.d-i-y
PAJ PAJ is offline

Default Ron Hickman dies

On Feb 18, 11:50*am, (Andrew Gabriel)
wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Ronald Raygun writes:

Steve Firth wrote:

Inventor of the Workmate, the tool that's almost as useful as an angle
grinder. Also designer of the Lotus lan so that's two attempts that he's
had to kill DIY enthusiasts.

We should demonstrate our affection for the deceased by using a Workmate
as a ladder, attempting to change a lightbulb and then spending all night
in casualty. It's what he would have wanted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-12496609

I heard that the original B&D workmate was very good, but that B&D
soon "improved" the design, resulting in it becoming a useless piece
of ****.

My dad has an early one, if not the original. It is cast aluminium,
and still going fine. Mine is later and pressed steel, and also fine
(probably 30+ years old) except I lost one of the rubber feet, which
is a bit annoying.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew,
I was able to buy new rubber feet on eBay. They are a touch large as
I think they made the feet size bigger from the original ones and the
only ones available appeared to be the newer ones, but I stuck them on
with mastic and so far so good. I also replaced the overcentre
catches (eBay) for the fold out legs as they had gone brittle and two
had failed.