Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default The common ThinkPad powerup problem

Hi,

I was handed an old T22 that "wouldn't power up".
I immediately tried the unplug, remove battery pack,
hold power depressed (for a long time), plug in
power and was able to get it to boot (no surprise
there).

Since this is such a common remedy for ThinkPads,
I started wondering what the actual *reason* (cause)
behind it might be.

Which prompted a web search for a schematic (so I
can see what *might* be going on when this happens).
Of course, no luck on that score...

So, anyone have an *informed* idea as to what is going
on (and, therefore, a worthwhile direction to pursue a
long-term fix!)?

Speculators need not apply... :-/

Thx,
--don