Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default O/T: Welcome To Big Time Politics

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article ,
(Larry W) wrote:
OT? You mean high speed rail doesn't use wooden ties?

Actually, it doesn't. Concrete or steel are the materials of choice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railroad_tie

Indeed, no wood.
Comparing Europe rail travel with rail travel in the NE Corridor. In
crowded western Europe, there is still relatively more open space than in
the Washington-Boston megalopolis. Therefore, it was fairly easy to take
rights of way for straight routes that don't have level crossings with
roads etc. I have traveled the Thalys between Holland and Paris, and
south of Brussels the speed of the train is astonishing. Large stretches
north of Brussels are fast, but not all are real TGV speed.

Generating routes like that in the megalopolis will involve long fights
with eminent domain expropriations. Moreover, we live more dispersed, so
getting to and from the "central" station will take more time, just like
the aggravating travel to and from airports.

Nevertheless, if travel by train were faster and cheaper, I'd use the
train more, especially since I'm retired now. I can walk to the station
here in Jersey, and use the T in Boston, so getting back and forth to my
son and family in Boston will be a cinch. But as of now, car travel is
cheaper and faster ... And then I have a car over there.

--
Best regards
Han