Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UPS vs DSL modem

On Feb 17, 11:30*am, N8N wrote:
On Feb 17, 10:22*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

On Feb 17, 10:14*am, Tegger wrote:

Art Todesco wrote in news:ijj941$bqu$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

I have a computer and DSL modem tied to an old UPS (with new
batteries). *When I have a power failure, the computer keeps right
on ticking, but I always have to restart the DSL modem. *I've even
restarted the modem while running on the UPS and after its restart,
all was fine. *I am assuming here that the switch over time is
killing the modem. *I looked at the modem and its walwart. *It says
12 VDC. *I was wondering if putting a few thousand micro farad cap
across the 12 volt line might help. *Anyone have any experience with
something like this?

The UPS is probably switching in too slowly for the modem's logic
circuitry.

The need to restart the modem is a giveaway that it's losing power for the
tiniest moment, just enough for its logic to /begin/ to die, but not enough
for it to die /all the way/ and thus do a complete reset on the new power-
up.

I think you need a newer UPS.

--
Tegger

The cap if it works would be a whole lot cheaper solution. *I'm not
familiar with smaller ups' only the big ones. *I assume the smaller
ones keep costs and heat down by not running the power through a power
supply and inverter 100% of the time. *Thus they have to switch
sources.

What you describe is a "true online" UPS and they exist, but generally
cost about 5-10x that of a typical consumer grade "line interactive"
UPS of the same VA rating.

nate- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I remmeber the first one of those I worked with back in the
80's. Our facility had offices in front and a warehouse in the back.
There was this small room back in the warehouse so we took it over and
put the ups in it. Day one we figured out that it was hot as hell in
that little room. Noisy too. Fortunately it was on an outside wall
so we made a hole inthe wall and added an ac.