Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default near mishap/disaster with water heater

"Mikepier" wrote in message
Just thought I share an awful experience last night during my
basement
reno. In the end, everything went well, but it almost didn't.
I was glueing some PVC pipe last night and I had to get to an elbow
above the water heater. It was a tight spot, so I climbed on a chair
and put my can of purple PVC primer on top of the water heater.
Well,
somehow the can tipped over and spilled all over the top of the
water
heater and went down the sides. I was panicking as I tried to get a
rag to clean it off and now I have an overwhelming smell of primer.
Then the water heater made this unforgettable loud
"humming/vibrating
sound". At first I thought it was the flame arrestor mechanism
kicking
in, so I immediately shut off the gas valve. The vibrating/humming
stopped. At this point I thought my water heater was screwed. So I
waited an hour to vent the area and clean up thoroughly around the
water heater, then I relit the pilot, turned it on, and everything
worked again. Although I now have a purple water heater, everything
seems to be ok. Thank God my water heater was not running when this
occured, only the pilot was lit at the time.
So my question is does anyone know why the water heater was making
that sound?
And not that this is important , but is it possible for me to paint
the water heater maybe a latex white?