Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default UPS... new battery or replace?

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 07:26:32 -0500, George
wrote:

On 2/16/2011 11:32 PM, mm wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 20:47:29 -0500, Nate
wrote:

Got an *ancient* (and I do mean ancient) APC UPS... all it does is back
up my wireless router. Battery is done. new one I expect to cost
$30-40 (which I find extortionate as I buy them for work at about $10
all day but still.)

1) buy a new battery. Be happy for another 5 years or so. Cost $40 max.

Even at some place like Battery Warehouse?

I'd buy the battery and get 7 to 15 more years out of the UPS.

What is the additional part of the plan you didn't mention? I have never
seen a gel cell last 7 years in service and certainly not 15.

I thought that's what he said the prior battery did.

Yeah, it's two paragraphs down.

I don't keep track, but still I think I got 7 years once. Then I
broke out the plastic ridges in the case and put in a battery that was
twice as big. The whole thing failed a few years after that, and I've
wondered if putting in a bigger battery caused that. ??

2) buy a new true-online UPS for my PC, and rotate the old, sorta-decent
one currently serving PC to wireless router duty. Would cost $266 for a
750VA unit with trade in (smallest one that qualifies for trade in
credit) or $252 for a 1000VA unit (yeah, I don't understand that either.)

which would you do? This is an old UPS that I scavenged from a previous
employer something like 7-8 years ago, and at that time it was being
discarded because the battery was dead then, so it now could conceivably
be as many as 15 years old.

I want to go true online but worth the cost? Have had no problems with
my setup so far. (touch wood.)

nate