Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default While Iggy's talking about safes...

On Feb 16, 10:08*pm, Frank J Warner
wrote:
In article
,

rangerssuck wrote:
I thought now would be a good time to relate a story about locks.

I've always had a passing interest in locks and lock picking, but it
was just that - a passing interest. Until a few years ago when I
picked up a rental video on lock picking. Holy crap, says I, It can't
really be that easy, can it? So, I bought a cheap set of lock picks,
and took a whack at it. It really was THAT easy.

The 15 year old kid from down the street happend to stop by, and I
showed him my new-found "skill." After I spent a couple of minutes
explaining what goes on with the pins inside a lock cylinder, he
proceeded to pick my front door lock.

A long time ago, a locksmith told me, "Locks are to keep honest people
honest. If a bad guy wants to get in, he's going to get in." After my
brief experience with picking various locks, I believe him.

Anyway, I thought y'all might like the story.

Locks. Phhht! Who needs 'em?

I've lived my house for 22 years and have never once locked my front
door. I don't even know where the keys are. Not even after the major
remodel in 2004.

I have a padlock on my workshop door, but I think it's rusted open.
Don't know where that key is, either.

Went to Vegas for 5 days last month and left everything open, mainly so
the neighbor kid could come in and feed the cat twice a day. Came back,
the cat was fed, and all my stuff was still there.

It's location, actually. I live next door to a sheriff's substation.
Patrol cars coming and going at all hours of the day & night. They wave
& smile as they go by. Some of you might not be so lucky . . . .

Frank

--
Here's some of my work:http://www.sharpbywarner.com- Hide quoted text -

Growing up, my father was a doctor, and he had his office in the
house. We did not have keys for any of the doors. We'd go away on
vacations and just leave the doors unlocked. There was never a
problem.

Things have changed.