Posted to alt.home.repair
Tegger[_3_] Tegger[_3_] is offline

Default UPS... new battery or replace?

Nate Nagel wrote in
:

I do like the idea of giving my stuff cleaner power on battery, but
then again, I'm thinking, just spend the $40 for a new battery,
because nothing's blowed up so far? (well, truth be told, i've been
going through wireless routers like candy, but previously I had same
UPS running my PC, which is still fine, so I blame the routers.)

And I like the idea of being a multi-millionaire. But I'm not, so I live
with what I've got.

APC UPS's are not "true online", and they don't make a true sine wave, but
you know what? The equipment does not seem to give a **** one way or the
other.

I've had Alphaservers and all sorts of network gear running tickety-boo for
many years on cheapo APCs. Never an issue. If you have routers failing,
it's because nobody does pre-delivery testing anymore. Testing costs more
than shipping whatever came off the line and dealing with warranty claims
when they happen. Remember when hard-drives were each individually tested,
and the results written on a sticker /by hand/?

I think you can find better things to worry about. Buy a new anything-brand
UPS and be happy. Unless you're the sort that /likes/ things held together
with duct tape and chewing gum because it came for free. In that case,
you're beyond help.

--
Tegger