Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Tube Amp 6L6GC Valve Peavey Mace VT Guitar Amplifier

I bought a Peavey Mace VT guitar amp (bare, no enclosure) which has a power
output capability of about 150 watts, by way of a power section utilizing 6
each, 6L6GC tubes, arranged in 3 paralleled pairs (2 sets of 3), feeding the
center-tapped output transformer.

I'd like to just use 2 tubes (~ 50W) for the power section, but don't know
if the power circuit would need to be modified for only using 2 of the
tubes.

The amp is capable of just using the non-tube/solid state pre-amp section
with the power section off (standby mode).. which will meet my needs while
practicing.

I'm not sure what I'll end up mounting the amp guts in.. I suppose either an
amp head box, but maybe in a combination amp-speaker(s) box.

I don't expect that finding a couple of high power capable 12" speakers will
be inexpensive, so using the amp with only 2 tubes will be more than
adequate for now.

I can't remember the last time I actually worked on any tube equipment, and
haven't retained any tube related experience/info, but I have looked into
checking the bias for power tubes.. which I'm likely capable of doing.

--
Cheers,
WB