Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default 30 GB Video Ipod (was: Computer runs faster because it issoldered.. haha..

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 09:49:58 -0500, JW wrote:

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:54:49 +0000 (UTC) Meat Plow
wrote in Message id: :

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 02:17:39 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 01:44:27 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

Just last week, I bought a replacement LCD assembly for a Classic,
and it was £10.20 (say $15) including tax and delivery. I got it
from my usual supplier here in the UK, and it looked as though it
was a factory-original part.

Good price. It probably came directly from China from the same
factory that supplies the displays to Apple. I get quite a few
parts that way through Hong Kong. However, there are some parts
which are simply unobtainable new and/or at reasonable prices.
Cosmetic parts, custom chips, and wear parts (i.e. power jacks,
controls, keyboards, touchpads, hinges, rubber feet, etc) tend to
be difficult to find. Most of these I buy from eBay vendors that
cannibalize machines and sell the parts. Without used parts, many
of the repairs that I'm doing would be either uneconomical or
impossible. I could not build the business on purchasing new parts
from the original manufacturer.

--
Jeff Liebermann

The company I use is

http://www.parts4ipods.com

Not much use to you as a leftpondian, but as you can see, they do a
lot of Apple parts, including some cosmetics and touch screens.

Arfa

Hey how do I get my 30 GB Video Ipod apart? It has a .5mm streak
going from right to left in the middle of the screen but stops just
short of the left side. But it is in the backlighting because the
streak does not appear in bright light. So it doesn't seem to be the
LCD just the lighting. Does this sound right? I don't want to mess
with trying to pry it apart and bend it all up but I would like to
see if there is something that can be done first without buying a
replacement panel.

I agree with Jeff. The problem is most likely the display itself or a
connection to it. They come apart quite easily, once you have got one
side started. there are lots of videos on You Tube. The English on
this one is crap, but the actual video shows it all quite well, except
that they don't show any screws down the sides once you have the case
off. There have been tiny screws in all the ones I've seen, but they
are obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYE9V...eature=related

Trickiest bit I've found is when you come to put it back together, and
you have to get the centre button in the control ring to stay
correctly in place, as you try to get the ring to locate in the case
front. Not ultimately hard exactly, just fiddly, and a bit frustrating
the first ten times that it falls back out ... :-)

Arfa

How is it backlit? is it ccfl ? I don't understand when viewed in bright
light after the backlight turns off the streak goes away. I can take a
pic of it and put it on photobucket:

This is with backlight:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...1/Electronics/

cimg0047.jpg

This is with reflected light only:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...1/Electronics/

cimg0046.jpg

As you can easily see the reflected light picture shows no anomaly on
the screen. It's not just a case of the anomaly being too hard to see
with reflected light.

I know you say you never abused it, but it's almost like a scuff between
the CFL and the rear of the LCD panel. That might explain why you only
see when the backlight is on and light is (trying) to get though. IMO,
it's too random to be the LCD panel itself.

Seeing one apart I don't see how the back of the LCD could get scuffed.
Nothing can really move being buckled in. Looking at the unit overall
there are some scuffs and scratches that i would consider normal wear.
Nothing along the lines of an impact. I may open it today if I can find
the right plastic tool.