Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

Default 30 GB Video Ipod (was: Computer runs faster because it is soldered.. haha..

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 18:54:49 +0000 (UTC) Meat Plow
wrote in Message id: :

On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 02:17:39 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 01:44:27 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

Just last week, I bought a replacement LCD assembly for a Classic,
and it was £10.20 (say $15) including tax and delivery. I got it from
my usual supplier here in the UK, and it looked as though it was a
factory-original part.

Good price. It probably came directly from China from the same
factory that supplies the displays to Apple. I get quite a few parts
that way through Hong Kong. However, there are some parts which are
simply unobtainable new and/or at reasonable prices. Cosmetic parts,
custom chips, and wear parts (i.e. power jacks, controls, keyboards,
touchpads, hinges, rubber feet, etc) tend to be difficult to find.
Most of these I buy from eBay vendors that cannibalize machines and
sell the parts. Without used parts, many of the repairs that I'm
doing would be either uneconomical or impossible. I could not build
the business on purchasing new parts from the original manufacturer.

--
Jeff Liebermann

The company I use is

http://www.parts4ipods.com

Not much use to you as a leftpondian, but as you can see, they do a
lot of Apple parts, including some cosmetics and touch screens.

Arfa

Hey how do I get my 30 GB Video Ipod apart? It has a .5mm streak going
from right to left in the middle of the screen but stops just short of
the left side. But it is in the backlighting because the streak does
not appear in bright light. So it doesn't seem to be the LCD just the
lighting. Does this sound right? I don't want to mess with trying to
pry it apart and bend it all up but I would like to see if there is
something that can be done first without buying a replacement panel.

I agree with Jeff. The problem is most likely the display itself or a
connection to it. They come apart quite easily, once you have got one
side started. there are lots of videos on You Tube. The English on this
one is crap, but the actual video shows it all quite well, except that
they don't show any screws down the sides once you have the case off.
There have been tiny screws in all the ones I've seen, but they are
obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYE9V...eature=related

Trickiest bit I've found is when you come to put it back together, and
you have to get the centre button in the control ring to stay correctly
in place, as you try to get the ring to locate in the case front. Not
ultimately hard exactly, just fiddly, and a bit frustrating the first
ten times that it falls back out ... :-)

Arfa

How is it backlit? is it ccfl ? I don't understand when viewed in bright
light after the backlight turns off the streak goes away. I can take a
pic of it and put it on photobucket:

This is with backlight:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj220/meatplow1/Electronics/cimg0047.jpg

This is with reflected light only:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj220/meatplow1/Electronics/cimg0046.jpg

As you can easily see the reflected light picture shows no anomaly on the screen.
It's not just a case of the anomaly being too hard to see with reflected light.

I know you say you never abused it, but it's almost like a scuff between
the CFL and the rear of the LCD panel. That might explain why you only see
when the backlight is on and light is (trying) to get though. IMO, it's
too random to be the LCD panel itself.