Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default 30 GB Video Ipod

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 01:55:09 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

Arfa

How is it backlit? is it ccfl ? I don't understand when viewed in
bright light after the backlight turns off the streak goes away. I can
take a pic of it and put it on photobucket:

This is with backlight:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...1/Electronics/

cimg0047.jpg

This is with reflected light only:
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...1/Electronics/

cimg0046.jpg

As you can easily see the reflected light picture shows no anomaly on
the screen.
It's not just a case of the anomaly being too hard to see with
reflected light.

Hmmm. As you say, the display error does not appear to be there in the
second picture, and I'm not sure just what to make of that. As to how
the things are backlit, to be honest, I'm not sure. I don't think that
it's a ccfl, so possibly LED, but I don't recall the display assembly
being thick enough to accommodate sufficiently powerful LEDs. Unless
someone else knows, I'll see if I can dig the one I replaced a couple of
weeks ago, back out of the workshop bin (un-emptied, and overflowing, as
always !!) and see if I can see what lights it

Arfa

Yeah it's strange. It almost make me want to think it's LED backlit. I
just don't see how those streaks would be there while lit with ccfl. And
even when lit if you hold it in strong light the streaks disappear. When
you pry apart the buckles that hold the top on, is there a special tool?
The green tool in the video looked specialized just to pry the buckles
apart on an Ipod. This unit was given to me at no cost so a new display
is a definite option but my propensity towards repair makes me want to
try to fix it first. If it's somehow LED backlit there might be some bad
soldering. The previous owner told me the streaks appeared out of the
blue, no reason.

Also, have you have an IPod Touch apart? A neighbor kid has a 16 GB unit
with an intermittent audio jack. I suppose it's a solder job but I'll
have to figure out how to unbuckle it without breaking the glass.