Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default Replacing and sheetrocking old ceilings and walls

RicodJour wrote:

You may want to look into one of the insulated basement finishing
systems. They provide unbroken insulation (wood or metal studs are
thermal short-circuits), and wood against stone/masonry presents
problems with future rot and mold growth. I would imagine that if you
insulated your solid masonry exterior walls you'd cut your heating
bill by a very large amount. You would also qualify for state and
federal energy credits off of your taxes.

Thanks. If I decide to do the exterior walls, I will probably just build a
new wood frame wall next to the masonry, keeping the studs about 1/4 inch
away from the masonry, then insulate and drywall. That would also create an
easy way to do the wiring on those walls.