Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Why don't ovens have temp gauges

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 11:19:02 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 2/14/2011 9:09 AM, wrote:
On 2/13/2011 10:27 PM, Van wrote:
I mean the average residential oven. I've never seen one with a temp
gauge. Is it because the oven manufacturers don't want you to know
how inaccurate their ovens are compared with the setting on the knob?

Don't the newer digital readout stoves indicate oven temperature? I've
never owned one but it only seems to be a logical feature to include.

TDD

We had a fairly new GE wall oven with digital therm. It was about 25
degrees off....there is a calibration maneuver, but with frequent power
outages it was a pain to reset the stupid thing. The engineers who
design appliances nowadays are doofusses who have never used a home
appliance. My Kenmore washer, when set to "hot", squirts hot on and off
to "save" energy. We kept the hwh set to "very warm", so the hot that
the washer was trying to control wasn't really hot, but luke-warm.

Current washer has "auto fill", and apparently weighs the load to
determine water level. If you open the lid at any point during the
cycle, it will automatically fill up to max level. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

It's those doofus engineers who have a special degree from Doofus U. :-)

I thought you were the Dean of Dufas U. Is that different from
Doofus U., rah rah?

TDD