Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make 6 inch concrete blocks?

On Feb 15, 1:39*pm, Evan wrote:
On Feb 15, 5:08*am, wrote:

I have a small deck built in stacked 8 inch concrete blocks. *I first
put in concrete pads in the ground, then stacked three 8 inch concrete
blocks on top and built the deck on them. *This deck was fine in the
summer, but when winter came, I found it was too close to the bottom
of the storm door on the house. *Just the smallest amount of ice on
the deck and we cant open the storm door. *As soon as the ice and snow
is gone, I want to lower the deck about 2 inches. *I can easily lift
it with a jack. My idea is to remove the top 8 inch block and replace
it with a 6 inch one in all four corners. *But, do they make 6 inch
blocks? * I know 8" is the most common, and they make 4" ones. *But I
never seens 6" ones. *I suppose if nothing else I can make some solid
ones with a wooden form and some Redi-Mix.

Thanks

Ah, yeah... *Why is your "deck" not properly secured to the ground ?

If it is resting on blocks then I can imagine several scenarios where
it could "move" or "tip" on its own... *Sounds very unsafe...

You should properly build your deck including securing it to posts
which are firmly attached to the concrete pads (are these footings
or just surface pads) for support and make sure since you are in a
wintery area that the deck supports go down into the ground at
least four feet to prevent heaving due to the ground freezing...

~~ Evan

which echos my comment about lack of permit or inspections.

people have been hurt and even died when decks collapse.