Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default 30 GB Video Ipod (was: Computer runs faster because it issoldered.. haha..

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 12:02:36 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 18:29:17 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
wrote:

Hey how do I get my 30 GB Video Ipod apart?

http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/iPod

I'm not sure which model you have. How to identify your model:
http://www.ifixit.com/info/ID-your-iPod

It has a .5mm streak going
from right to left in the middle of the screen but stops just short of
the left side. But it is in the backlighting because the streak does not
appear in bright light. So it doesn't seem to be the LCD just the
lighting. Does this sound right?

No. Backlighting failures usually affect the entire screen, or large
areas of the screen, not single horizontal lines. That's the LCD. It's
too difficult to see the line with a reflected light. My guess is
either a blown LCD display, or a bad connection. It might also be
mechanical damage (broken glass) of some sort as I've never seen a line
go only partially across the display.

Sorry, the streak is not there when viewing by reflected light. Only with
back light. And the glass is not broken nor has it been dropped
or bumped or abused.

don't want to mess with trying to pry
it apart and bend it all up but I would like to see if there is
something that can be done first without buying a replacement panel.

Burnt offerings, human sacrifice, secret incantations, and exhortations
to various deities has worked for the last few thousand years. Threats
of violence has ocassionally convinved various devices to cooperate and
repair themselves. I don't recall if the ISO has standardized any of
these methods yet, so some experimentation on your part might be needed.
If you do succeed by any of these methods, I would be very interested.

Well I'm on my own.