Posted to uk.media.tv.misc,uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default C4 Racing from Newbury - 2 horses *electrocuted* - Conductive shoes

In article , Francis Burton
scribeth thus
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Quote "The two which died were shod in steel whilst the survivors were
wearing less-conductive aluminium."

I suspect that someone at The Sun does not understand conductivity values.

Aluminium oxide is both an excellent insulator, and very hard.

[snip war story]

While this is true, I would have expected that aly shoes would be
constantly being scratched, thus exposing fresh aly and allowing current
to pass.

I know the fresh aly oxidises fairly quickly but I don't know the
timescale.

Apparently some racing plates are made of anodized aluminium,
which is definitely harder to make conductive. I just tried
using the sharp probes on my multimeter on a piece of anodized
Al - no current. In contrast, I could get close to a zero ohm
reading from a sheet of ordinary aluminium with just touching
the probes on to the surface.

Francis

And I wonder what do they hold the Ally hoss shoes on with then?..
--
Tony Sayer