geoff

Default dimmer for 3 light zones?

In message , Frisket
writes

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
IanJ wrote:

You *can* have a dimmer and (any number of) ordinary switches in a two
or three or more-way setup so that you could have a dimmer switch by the
door to switch on and dim the ceiling lights and an ordinary switch
either side of the bed to switch them off, but the one thing you *can't*
do is to have two or more dimmer switches controlling the same set of
lights.

Likewise with the bedside lamps; if you have a dimmer on one side you
could have an ordinary switch the other, but not two dimmers controling
the same bedside lamp.

Now, there is a way you can accomplish all you have suggested, and a
whole lot more, but it is very expensive. What you would need to do
would be to install a system from someone like Dimtek
(http://www.dimtek.co.uk/ ) or iLight, or possibly some X10 gear (there
are others here who know more about X10).

Each set of lamps could then be on its own addressable dimmer and
instead of fitting light switches you would fit control panels which
communicate with the dimmer via a data network. It is up to you what
facilities are available at the control panels, and you can have as many
as you like, but as I said it is a very expensive option when compared
with standard switches and dimmers.

Or prehaps I've misunderstood and it's not really as complicated as I
thought.

Hwyl!

M.

Or you could go for a remote controlled set-up. Don't know the manufacturers
but I saw a set up in a customers house and they looked quite impressive.
Richard

CPC do a four channel remote lighting system. If you set both switches
to the same channel, you could control both. Wall dimming switches are
about £20 and the remote about £15. Of course if you got the two out of
sync ...
--
geoff