Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting class

On 2/14/2011 7:36 AM spake thus:

On 2/14/2011 8:24 AM, HeyBub wrote:

Went to the local Home& Garden Show and sat in on a painting
class. Here are some hints I gleaned. You probably know most of
them.

* Punch 4 or more holes in the rim of your paint can. This allows
paint to drain back into the can. The "point" on the painter's tool
is designed for this purpose.

Never ) Run a strip of foil around the rim, pour out the paint, take
off the foil and replace the lid. If the rim gets rusty, then the rust
gets inside the can.

Ya know, paint cans have got to be the most poorly-designed containers
of all time, at least from the point of view of the user. (Probably
works great for the manufacturer, which is why we're stuck with it.) I'm
sure I'm not the first person to point this out.

I also wonder about the wisdom of punching holes in the "gutter". I've
heard this advice before, and it does make sense to allow the paint that
inevitably pools there to drain back into the can. But it also seems
like an open invitation for the can to rust, a big problem especially
with water-based paints, or an opportunity for air to get in and ruin
the paint.

Even though I hate plastic containers, it would seem that those plastic
paint cans with the big screw-on caps might be an improvement over the
corrugated-rim can. But I wonder how many of those caps will get glued
on tight over time, never to be unscrewed again.

--
The phrase "jump the shark" itself jumped the shark about a decade ago.

- Usenet