Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to properly dispose of CFLs

On 2/14/2011 8:31 PM, DGDevin wrote:

"Roy" wrote in message

Better to waste $5 on fuel to recycle a bulb which cost $2.50...what a
system...how can one lose? Better to save them up until you have a box
full and ship them all to your elected rep who helped pass the stupid
laws that supposedly saved the environment and energy costs by the
banning of most incandescent bulbs.

A local hardware store which collects CFLs and batteries for proper
disposal is within walking distance of my house. For anything bigger
than that I have a box in the garage where I keep dead electronics and
suchlike until such time as I have enough to justify spending maybe a
dollar driving to the recycle center. Big deal. People sure like to
complain about petty stuff these days.

I'm willing to keep the box, but unlike the crunchy granola areas, there
IS no recycle center here for anything other than paper/cans/plastic. If
I want to do hazmat recycle, I have to watch for the barely-publicized
special days and locations the county puts on 2-3 times a year.

I've never searched the local big-boxes for the battery/bulb drop boxes.
I don't generate that many, and they are all laying around here
somewhere, usually mixed in with the good ones.

--
aem sends...