Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default 30 GB Video Ipod (was: Computer runs faster because it is soldered.. haha..

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 01:44:27 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

Just last week, I bought a replacement LCD assembly for a Classic, and
it was £10.20 (say $15) including tax and delivery. I got it from my
usual supplier here in the UK, and it looked as though it was a
factory-original part.

Good price. It probably came directly from China from the same factory
that supplies the displays to Apple. I get quite a few parts that way
through Hong Kong. However, there are some parts which are simply
unobtainable new and/or at reasonable prices. Cosmetic parts, custom
chips, and wear parts (i.e. power jacks, controls, keyboards,
touchpads, hinges, rubber feet, etc) tend to be difficult to find. Most
of these I buy from eBay vendors that cannibalize machines and sell the
parts. Without used parts, many of the repairs that I'm doing would be
either uneconomical or impossible. I could not build the business on
purchasing new parts from the original manufacturer.

--
Jeff Liebermann

The company I use is

http://www.parts4ipods.com

Not much use to you as a leftpondian, but as you can see, they do a lot
of Apple parts, including some cosmetics and touch screens.

Arfa

Hey how do I get my 30 GB Video Ipod apart? It has a .5mm streak going
from right to left in the middle of the screen but stops just short of
the left side. But it is in the backlighting because the streak does not
appear in bright light. So it doesn't seem to be the LCD just the
lighting. Does this sound right? I don't want to mess with trying to pry
it apart and bend it all up but I would like to see if there is something
that can be done first without buying a replacement panel.

I agree with Jeff. The problem is most likely the display itself or a
connection to it. They come apart quite easily, once you have got one side
started. there are lots of videos on You Tube. The English on this one is
crap, but the actual video shows it all quite well, except that they don't
show any screws down the sides once you have the case off. There have been
tiny screws in all the ones I've seen, but they are obvious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYE9V...eature=related

Trickiest bit I've found is when you come to put it back together, and you
have to get the centre button in the control ring to stay correctly in
place, as you try to get the ring to locate in the case front. Not
ultimately hard exactly, just fiddly, and a bit frustrating the first ten
times that it falls back out ... :-)

Arfa