Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why don't ovens have temp gauges

On Feb 14, 5:52*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
?"Van" wrote in message

I mean the average residential oven. *I've never seen one with a temp
gauge. *Is it because the oven manufacturers don't want you to know
how inaccurate their ovens are compared with the setting on the knob?

Given that some have 50 degrees swings during the cycles, it would drive a
lot of people nuts just watching the thermometer.

I have a Kitchenaid electric which is about a year old. You set it
digitally to
the desired temp. The oven starts out by showing "low" until it gets
to the
minimum temp that it will display, which I think is 160 or so. Then
it starts
showing the actual temp, increasing until it reaches the set point.
After that, I don't
think it shows variation, at least I've never seen it do it. It justs
shows the
set point and continues to do so, even if you open the door.