Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Why don't ovens have temp gauges

In article
,
DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Feb 14, 12:41*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Feb 13, 11:27*pm, Van wrote:
I mean the average residential oven. *I've never seen one with a temp
gauge. *Is it because the oven manufacturers don't want you to know
how inaccurate their ovens are compared with the setting on the knob?

My Mom's electric stove has both a readout for the "set" temperature
and the actual temperature, at least while the oven is heating up. In
other words, you spin the knob to set the digital readout to 350 and
you can watch a smaller number in the corner of the display climb
towards 350.

To be honest, I don't recall if the "actual" temperature readout
varies during the cooking and since she lives 300 miles away, I can't
check tonight. :-)

My gas oven has a readout only for what it's set for. It reads "Pre"
while it's warming up, but when it reaches the set point it beeps and
displays the set point until the oven is turned off.

My 2 yr. old Bosch gas range displays the so-called actual temp during
oven warmup also, but I don't think it's accurate. After warmup, that
display goes out and all I see is the setpoint. Obviously the temp in an
oven is being monitored, but if the monitoring device isn't accurate
then it isn't accurate. I'm pretty sure mine is ~20 degrees F low.

Excursions from setpoint aren't that important to me; there has to be
some hysteresis built into the control algorithm and I trust the
engineers on that count.

You may trust your engineers, but I don't trust mine.

Even when monitoring the actual temperature with an internal "shelf"
thermometer, and seeing it read exactly what the set-point says,
everything - and I mean *everything* - takes longer to cook than the
recipe - *any* recipe - says it should.

One day I'll actually remember to bring home an oven thermometer to
check my oven. I'd assumed that it was running low, just because
everything takes longer to cook, but maybe something else is going on.
I've been satisfied with putting the setpoint 20-25 higher than called
for.