Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Lanciani Dan Lanciani is offline

Default Why don't ovens have temp gauges

In article , (DerbyDad03) writes:

| Even when monitoring the actual temperature with an internal "shelf"
| thermometer, and seeing it read exactly what the set-point says,
| everything - and I mean *everything* - takes longer to cook than the
| recipe - *any* recipe - says it should.

Interesting. I can't say for all recipes, but I've noticed that roasts
take significantly longer to cook than the minutes/pound label indicates--
sometimes twice as long. I have also checked the temperature with a shelf
thermometer and it is spot on. This led me to wonder just what assumptions
are implicit in those numbers. In particular, what starting temperature
do they assume? I keep my refrigerator at 36F so if they assume starting
at an average room temperature I can see how the time could be way off.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com