Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Home zinc plating

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 03:31:13 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Feb 12, 3:41*am, Ignoramus15263 ignoramus15...@NOSPAM.
15263.invalid wrote:
Has anyone tried zinc plating stuff at home, and if so, how successful
was it. I was reading about this and I am not sure if this is a risky
procesude in the sense of getting a bad result, or not. THanks

I've read that zinc galvanizing paint is as corrosion resistant as
actual galvanizing. What's peoples opinion on that?
Karl

It's paint with zinc dust as pigment. Plating is metal. An intact
paint film prevents corrosion, but paint is not as durable as metal.

I use the cold galvanize paint on projects made of angle iron, etc
where metal-to-metal contact doesn't happen. I have racks I made 20
years ago that are still rust free.

I use real zinc on smaller projects where there is metal-to-metal
contact. One example would be Ig's hasps.

Zinc plating is actually no more trouble than painting, and it's ready
to go into service as soon as it comes out of the bucket.