Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default How to properly dispose of CFLs

Harry K wrote:
On Feb 13, 4:39 am, "HeyBub" wrote:
RicodJour wrote:

What do you do with your waste batteries, oil, paints, pesticides,
medicines, etc? It's no big deal to have a hazardous material
recycling container and deal with the stuff appropriately. Within a
couple or three years there will be a light bulb deposit instituted.
Might as well get in the habit now.

Some do the following:

* Batteries - sold for lead scrap
* Oil - lubricate the storm drains
* Paints - in the trash
* Pesticides - leave in schoolyard at midnight (same with
refrigerators, dented propane tanks, etc.)
* Medicines - in the trash or toilet

Some people do not understand what the city's "Solid Waste Disposal"
department is supposed to do. If the item is "solid" and is "waste"
the city presumably knows how to "dispose" of it. Some people,
again, hold that when the city is incapable, incompetent, or unable,
the fix belongs to the city.

WTH!!!??? Do you _really_ think that the SWD picks through your
garbage sorting it prior to disposal? Put hazardous waste in your
can, that is last time it will be seen - goes straight to the dumping
site.

You make a good point. No, I don't know whether the city picks through my
trash. If they did, though, it would raise some interesting privacy
concerns.

Let me ask you: what do YOU think "Solid Waste Disposal" means? That they
take liquids? Or perhaps non-waste (like gold bars)? Or that they don't
dispose of what they pick up?

Maybe they just pile the junk up somewhere? Admittedly, this could be
happening inasmuch as some neighborhoods DO look as if they are on the
receiving end of the city's detritus.

But, since you raised a concern, I looked it up. And I stand corrected.

* My city's name for the department is "Solid Waste Management Department,"
not solid waste DISPOSAL. This means they are "managing" the waste, not
necessarily "disposing" of it as I thought.

* According to my city's ordinances, the aforesaid department if responsible
for collecting, and managing:

"...abandoned, discarded or unwanted nonputresible solid waste materials
consisting of both combustible and noncombustible waste materials;
combustible rubbish or trash shall include feathers, paper, rags, cartons,
boxes, wood excelsior, non-metallic furniture, rubber, plastics, yard
trimmings, shrubs, leaves, and similar materials; noncombustible rubbish or
trash shall include glass, crockery, tin cans, aluminum cnas, metal
furniture, and like materials which will not burn at ordinary incinerator
temperatures..."

http://www.houstontx.gov/solidwaste/...39-2010may.pdf

There is a $90 fee for collecting and managing dead horses (dogs and cats
are free).