Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Computer runs faster because it is soldered.. haha..

Just last week, I bought a replacement LCD assembly for a Classic,
and it was £10.20 (say $15) including tax and delivery. I got it from my
usual supplier here in the UK, and it looked as though it was a
factory-original part.

Good price. It probably came directly from China from the same
factory that supplies the displays to Apple. I get quite a few parts
that way through Hong Kong. However, there are some parts which are
simply unobtainable new and/or at reasonable prices. Cosmetic parts,
custom chips, and wear parts (i.e. power jacks, controls, keyboards,
touchpads, hinges, rubber feet, etc) tend to be difficult to find.
Most of these I buy from eBay vendors that cannibalize machines and
sell the parts. Without used parts, many of the repairs that I'm
doing would be either uneconomical or impossible. I could not build
the business on purchasing new parts from the original manufacturer.

--
Jeff Liebermann

The company I use is

http://www.parts4ipods.com

Not much use to you as a leftpondian, but as you can see, they do a lot of
Apple parts, including some cosmetics and touch screens.

Arfa