Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ice Dams

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 09:35:45 -0500, Jeff Thies wrote:

On 2/4/2011 6:17 PM, Joei wrote:
wrote in message
b.com...
wrote in
:

Pauli G wrote:

We presently have substantial ice dams on a roof that was done about
year and a half ago (complete rip-off of old shingles down to
plywood,
installed 30-year GAF architectural shingles). Our contractor, a
really reputable firm in my area, installed the ice& water shield
under the shingles along the edges of the roof. Long story short,
we
are getting water intrusion into the house now from melting ice/
snow. Isn't the ice& water shield supposed to be a foolproof way
of protecting against this, or is it only a half-measure? Also,
what are my alternatives right now? Just let it melt off? Or
should
I get it shoveled, and if I do so, will this damage my semi-new
roof?

Ice and water shield may not go high enough. It's best to cover the
entire roof with it.
Shovel your roof asap and keep it cleaned off for now.
Get your attic insulated to cut down on bottom melt. You must have a
great heat loss in your home.

It all depends on the weather around your home. Many people here have
ice
dams and icicles. The outside air is way below freezing. The sun shines
on the roof and begins to melt the ice. Then it is night time and what
water there is, refreezes. Then it starts up all over again day after
day.
The result is an ice dam. Using a roof rake as much as possible is what
we
do. If it gets any worse, we may have to call in roofers to go up there
and shovel off more than we can reach from the ground. We're older
people
so we can't go up to the roof.

There's nothing funnier, than getting a couple of old people on an icy
roof. Get on up there!

How old?

Got a friend who is 80 who works on his 9/12 roof. Another who is 77
who helped me with mine.

Not going to go near my 15/12 roof. Good thing there's no ice here. ;-)
OTOH, I have no idea why they require such pitched roofs in hurricane country.