Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Computer runs faster because it is soldered.. haha..

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 16:20:16 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

I don't know about Apple computers, because I don't work on them, but I have
to say that I find iPods very easy to get into, and all of the major parts
are available from multiple sources at what I think are remarkably sensible
prices.

In order to get into a iPhone 3G, you remove 2 small screws, place a
suction cup on the glass front, and pull. The battery is soldered in
place. Furthur disassembly involves removing glued components
(including the battery). It's not impossible, but it's certainly not
easy. The previous iPhone 2G required using a plastic "spudger" to
pry the off the front.

Various teardown instructions:
http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/iPhone
http://www.ifixit.com/Browse/iPod
However, for real entertainment value, try replacing a broken power
connector on an old iBook G3. I have one of these and was not
thrilled with the approx 50 step procedure.
http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iBook_G3_12%22
We can debate whether such inconvenient disassembly is justified by
the allegedly improved cosmetics. My position is that it's not, as
demonstrated by other cell phones and PC laptops, most of which have
user accessible batteries.

Just last week, I bought a replacement LCD assembly for a Classic,
and it was £10.20 (say $15) including tax and delivery. I got it from my
usual supplier here in the UK, and it looked as though it was a
factory-original part.

Good price. It probably came directly from China from the same
factory that supplies the displays to Apple. I get quite a few parts
that way through Hong Kong. However, there are some parts which are
simply unobtainable new and/or at reasonable prices. Cosmetic parts,
custom chips, and wear parts (i.e. power jacks, controls, keyboards,
touchpads, hinges, rubber feet, etc) tend to be difficult to find.
Most of these I buy from eBay vendors that cannibalize machines and
sell the parts. Without used parts, many of the repairs that I'm
doing would be either uneconomical or impossible. I could not build
the business on purchasing new parts from the original manufacturer.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D